Friday, September 16, 2011

Momma

One of my earliest memories is finding a note my mom left for me to read while she was at work. It said that when she got home, we would make a Halloween witch craft out of an old plastic jug. I don't know what happened to that witch, but I will never forget making it.

My mom, she always did the most she could to keep us happy. We didn't have a lot of money, but we always had fun things to do. Another favorite memory is driving around without any real destination and finding an apple orchard! She really made the best of things.

My mom was my preschool teacher! It was great! And when she left my dad, she started a daycare from home in order to support us and be a stay at home mom! If anyone wonders who my inspiration is, look no further!

And when Christmas rolled around, you would never know we were poor! I don't know how she did it, but our tree was always overflowing with gifts! We had a ritual on Christmas morning that started with my sister and I playing Mastermind while we waited til the time Mom had told us we could wake her up. Then we would go and gaze at the tree in wonder. There were always a few unwrapped teasers. After this, we'd have breakfast. Then it was stocking time. Oh the laughs we would have while we opened our stockings! Finally, we would head to the tree and open our gifts. Christmas mornings with my mom were lovely.

My mom has always been one of my best friends. I could always tell her anything. I think there may have been times she wished I wouldn't tell her so much! But even then, she has always listened.

My mom is on my mind a lot right now. She's going through a rough time. But she has a lot of support and she's a positive person so I know she will be all right. But I was thinking about her and wanted to share a little bit about her here.

I love you Momma!

3 comments:

  1. I saw the picture of me and "Momma" and had to grab the tissue box before I even read this!! My daughters were MY inspiration!! without them, my life would have looked pretty bleak back then--they inspired me to grow up, and gave me a reason to find a way to provide income..I do remember all the 'field trips' that we finally got to take when I sawed off the big ball and chain (who never wanted to do anything fun) I think about the 2 of you and baby Mellampus (sp?) ev time I see the blue bridge downtown--EVERY time! and all the fun in our daycare, wow, what fun we had! When I was PG with you Rhiannon, and it was becoming clear that your dad was Not my friend, I clearly remember the comfort it brought me to know I was growing a friend!! and some 'experts' would say that was not a healthy attitude to take towards your unborn child and maybe it wasnt--I was immature, and I Was thinking selfishly at that point--but we grew up together, and you taught me how to be a mom and when you got older you taught me how to be a friend!! I love you Rhiannon!!
    LOve forever, your momma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow nice writing you two. Rhi your description of your Christmas mornings sounds just like ours, same rituals carried on generation after generation. I think my mom's mom made their gifts, this making do with little is also generational, and meaningful to all of us, and fun. Although it can be scary and wearing too.
    I remember coming to Michigan, I always wanted to stay with Kim, I felt comfortable there, and got to see what she was "up to now". Divorce and daycares and kids, my two adorable nieces. Sharing theories on money and mysticism, letting in the flow, which is always there, flow of images, events, music, relating, words, love. What a great story you all are in, delightful and rich. I know Kim will go do the next right thing, and the money will follow. I love you KIM, and you too Rhiannon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, getting my name to not say 'anonymous'--I thought it would be trickier I guess...duh!! thanks Kat, it is a wonderful feeling to know you've impacted anyone--but especially your kids and sisters, in a positive way!! My daughters and son were such easy going, fun little children, easy babies, easy teenagers--I was blessed that way!!!

    ReplyDelete