Monday, January 17, 2011

Freaking Out at 2 am

Well last night while I was in bed, I started to think about what I needed to pack for the hospital. I remembered seeing links to checklists online, so I looked a couple up. The lists looked a lot like this to me:

An item you don't have
Another item you don't have
Something you hadn't even thought about
Something you heard was nice but didn't think you'd actually need
Etc
Etc
Toothbrush

At the bottom of one checklist was a link to another article called, "What To Expect When You Arrive at the Hospital." That list was overwhelming as well. It seemed complicated and as if I would need to pull out a briefcase and a lawyer for paperwork all while in labor for the first time! Are they going to make me take out a mortgage on this baby???

So then I started to worry about the things that had actually been on my mind but that I had been trying not to think about. For instance, I'm the only driver in this household. If I go into labor, how will I get to the hospital? Ambulance? Is that covered? I'm sure I won't speed through labor, but my sister did... What if I do and she pops out before Teresa can get there to hold my hand? What if there is no one there to record any of it? Go ahead and laugh at me. I'll probably be in labor for 2 days or something and wishing she had just popped out, but Mackenzie DID just pop out! I was there! So it happens and it happens in my family!

After worrying about that awhile, I started to think about my messy room. I needed to clean my room in order to clean the nursery out. I started thinking, I can't bring this fresh little baby home to this mess. What kind of grown up am I? I can't even keep my room clean!!! How can I be a role model? What if she's a neat kid and thinks I am a horrible slob?

So I got up and cleaned my room.

That helped and after some Text Twist on Yahoo Games, I finally went to sleep. It was about 3 am by then. Tonight I plan to attack the nursery after work. I really want to be able to show people the room she'll be in at the shower on Saturday. It won't look quite like a nursery yet, but hopefully it won't look like a closet anymore, either!

4 comments:

  1. I think most moms thiink like u do. No worries or try not to. U can drive as long as ur water doesn't break. And my room was messy up until a week before the baby came and now its messy we don't have time to clean always. Most new parents won't. Also u should check about recording the birth most dr.s frown apon it.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‎"what if she's a neat kid and thinks I'm a horrible slob!"
    hahahahahaha...laughing out loud, and I loved you 'lists'! Lordy my kids are great writers!! you will do what you need to do, its hard for you to trust your maternal instinct beca...use you havent met that side of yourself yet! The fact that you're 'freaking out' is a sign of your goodness as a mommy!!

    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all part of nesting! I remember one night before Mackenzie was born cleaning the house like a maniac and I was crying because I had to work early in the morning and I was tired, but I was worried that she would come early and I HAD to clean the house, for the same reason you said - I didn't want my fresh baby coming into a messy home. I think I remember having all of the thoughts that you mentioned here! Like the paperwork! That was scary and even scarier because Terry was deployed and I was afraid I would need his signature for things too! Anyway, everything will work out fine - and I know you already know that but I have to say it ;-) Love You!!

    ReplyDelete